Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo

Rendering In Rhino, Or...?

Rhino Max Vray Corona Maxwell Cinema4D Maya Autodesk Render Rendering

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matus

Matus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

flying-architecture-augmented-xpo-archit

Hello dear fellow render freaks,

Many of you use Rhino to create their 3D models, but for rendering, they decide to switch to 3ds Max, or some other software, that has more advanced render plugins, such as more advanced V-Ray (for 3ds Max), or Corona, or Fstorm, or anything else.

I would like to help the community as much as possible and for making that happen, I need Your opinion now on WHY DO YOU SWITCH? What are the reasons, what do you miss in current set of Rhino and V-Ray? Can You name some specific features that force you to switch? Some missing ones in Rhino + V-Ray?

It would be very helpful for the community, to list most crucial features. so we are able to speak to Chaos Group representatives about our fears and pain, so they do their best to help us out! Raise Your voice and make this change possible :)

Yours Matus

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: This thread is based on the recent news from ChosGroup forum: Baltimore office - developing V-ray for Rhino - has been shut down and development of VfR was moved to the main office of ChaosGroup in BG. That's where the new era of V-Ray begins!

Edited by Matus, 30 September 2017 - 09:35 AM.
Updated reason of this post

mail_logo.png

I am (pick 3 options:)

/ Authorized Rhino Trainer

/ Architectural visualization artist

/ Hardworker

/ Sleeping Enough

#2 Matus

Matus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:11 AM

Let me start first to launch the discussion and to encourage you:

We miss power boost. V-Ray for Rhino is way slower than V-Ray for Max. That's a fact.

Proxy handling. Handling instances in Rhino is still not the most comfortable and from some thresholds in proxy counts, VfR becomes just useless.

Materials. We create materials like in '95! Come on, without power Node editor, we can't even think of advanced materials. For example, you can't even comfortable add several bump maps to the material. You have to create a Blend within Bump slot, then add 2 maps. Or create Blends in Blend and add 4. And so on... But it becomes crazy when you need to add more textures with different mapping.

Displacement. Handling Displacement is almost impossible.

Fur. Using fur for grass? Sure, when you need it just for 2x2m courtyard. This thing has a great potential, however it needs a lot of optimising.

etc... Please list yours!

• nachetz likes this

mail_logo.png

/ Hardworker

/ Sleeping Enough

#3 Grigio18

Grigio18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

In the last month, considering the situation on the rhino side, I used my spare time to study 3ds max and vray for max,in the unfortunate hypothesis of abandoning renders with vray for rhino.

My level with max was not zero, but I never used it to make projects from scratch, or for renders.

I have to say that, after a couple of days of confusion and settling difficulty, Max+vrayformax/corona are 2 steps ahead of rhino+vfr.

in terms of speed, overall quality results, plugins avalibility, models library ready to render. in short words, all of this makes my life simpler, Even with a month of experience, versus 10 years of daily work with rhino.

As Matus said, render times are faster, materials creation is simpler and you can manage really complex materials in a rational way, thanks to the node editor.

It's also true that max is a really crash prone software and rhino is incredibly stable, more precise for the architectural parts modelling, and i can have more control over the layers and file management, but maybe is just me and my inexperience with max...

Now,I ask chaos group these things to convince me to stay whit vray for rhino:

Speed and stability: this is obviously the most important element.

All the possibile material types and maps that we have in max should be in rhino,  and have to work the same way. (substance material , al surface, and for maps,composite, color correction, curves to edit map contrast and light as in max, bercon noise maps, normal+bump maps, ecc ecc)

Dirt map fix, right now it's not working as it should.

Blocks istances, linked blocks issues fixed.

A way to import max+vray/corona models library, something like a proxy format with embedded fully compatible materials.

Possibility to simply add our created materials to the actual material library, and improvement over the materials currently inside the mat library, most of them are not good enough fot actual cg standards.

Hair material presets and sss materials presets as in max.

Fur presets and speed improvement.

better support for renderfarms, every one I tested gives me issues...

then there are some plug ins that we need to be able to produce the same quality of max, but this is not a request to make to chaos.

Something like forest pack/ multiscatter or even skatter,and a  floorgenerator,..

• jiminy-billy-bob likes this

http://www.grigio18.it

Fb: @Studiogrigio18

Instagram: @grigio_18

#4 Matus

Matus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

I also have to add, that even now, in October 2017, we are still using V-Ray 2.0 for Rhino, as it's more reliable for us... I just envy V-Ray 3.6 used by 3ds max users and thought many times about switching to Max, but I hate it so much that it's impossible :D Case closed. So I stick to Rhino, but we desperately need an upgrade.

• nachetz, Grigio18 and evlomarios like this

mail_logo.png

/ Hardworker

/ Sleeping Enough

#5 nachetz

nachetz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

Let me start first to launch the discussion and to encourage you:

We miss power boost. V-Ray for Rhino is way slower than V-Ray for Max. That's a fact.

Proxy handling. Handling instances in Rhino is still not the most comfortable and from some thresholds in proxy counts, VfR becomes just useless.

Materials. We create materials like in '95! Come on, without power Node editor, we can't even think of advanced materials. For example, you can't even comfortable add several bump maps to the material. You have to create a Blend within Bump slot, then add 2 maps. Or create Blends in Blend and add 4. And so on... But it becomes crazy when you need to add more textures with different mapping.

Displacement. Handling Displacement is almost impossible.

Fur. Using fur for grass? Sure, when you need it just for 2x2m courtyard. This thing has a great potential, however it needs a lot of optimising.

etc... Please list yours!

I agree with you two... But may be its time to talk also with Rhino v6 developers... Node editor (i also miss it as a grasshopper user since years!) it's from Autodesk, no Chaosgroup.

#6 Luis Lobo

Luis Lobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationLausanne, Switzerland.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

To be honest I find VfR 2.0 very solid. It is a solution for my problems of rendering but if I compare all the new render engines that we can find right now on Internet, I can say "Ok something is wrong". I want all these features included in my workflow! I started to test VfR 3.X but...this software is cursed or something like this. 

I was learning how to render using Cycles for Blender and I thought we need urgently the nodes. I saw a kind of integration of GH with VfR but to for sure they need more time for development. So, more waiting? For real? 

I think one of the worst problems is that we need to WAIT years while development of tech for rendering is updating too fast. I understand all the process that takes to develop a software like VfR but I don't know if I want to wait too much.

#justsaying

Luis Lobo

#7 kukuc

kukuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

When you say switch to Max for rendering, I was wondering is there some painless process for this, cause everything i tried, exporting from rhino to dwg, obj, 3ds... I always had problems on import in max,loads of layers, incorect geometry etc.

#8 kukuc

kukuc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Oh yeah, and my main issues with Rhino/Vray is that Rhino Is really great for modeling but possibilities you get with max after modeling process are uncomperable, loads of plugins, materials, all online models are prepared for max (no problems or have to add textures by yourself), speed of rendering, more advanced options for rendering, basicaly most of things concerning rendering is better on max platform, but I never got in the modeling aspect of max it's too reppeling for me. It would be cool if rhino could be able to import prepared models with textures  without need to export to obj and then reasigning everything in Rhino from scratch. 

#9 jiminy-billy-bob

jiminy-billy-bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

or even skatter

We've had several requests from people wanting Skatter on Rhino. But that would take months to develop. Would it be worth it for us to spend so much time considering the amount of potential customers?
How big do you guys think is the rendering community on Rhino?

#10 Lewis_Garrison

Lewis_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:28 PM

Our office uses vray for rhino, for sketchup and for Max. We also tried out vray for Revit, so we have a pretty good feel for them across the board.

Materials materials materials. There's so much flexibility in vray/max that vray/rhino doesn't compare to. There's some procedural materials I make in max that I wouldn't even know where to begin in rhino. I mean I'm sure you could in rhino. Its just that with the node editor everything is so organized where you can visually see everything about the material at once. You can copy and paste entire procedural sections and re-link them with ease. 

Vray triplanar texture, Substance materials, Composite maps, Multi-texture, the Material by Element modifier, UV unwrap modifier. After learning Max these are all things I now use on a daily basis. 

Then there are other things like linking to Revit, linking to CAD, Vray Physical Cameras, Forest pack plug in, Floor generator, Solid rocks, Rail clone, Ivy generator, using animation to model. I'm sure i'm missing a bunch but we rely on these pretty heavily in our office. 

Architect, Co-founder, Lead Illustrator at VIZfire.

https://vizfire.net/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rhino, Max, Vray, Corona, Maxwell, Cinema4D, Maya, Autodesk, Render, Rendering