Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo

How To Tackle This Rendering/composition Task?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 malakas13

malakas13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hello, I am fairly new to vray and rendering in general so I would like some advice on this task.

I have this picture (example 2) and I want to insert an object between the column and the wall. So in rhino I loaded the picture as a background, modeled a quick floor/wall/column and tried to match the perspective with the camera focal length. Then I made a rhino sun and put a wrapper material on the floor and wall in order to have a render with only the object and the shadows.

So now I'm at the part where I try to match the render with the photo in photoshop but the shadows from the render are too black and the alignment is a bit off.

What I'm asking is: is this a good workflow or is there a better/easier method for doing this? I'm using vray3 on rhino5.

Attached Files

#2 dwoeltjen

dwoeltjen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMiami

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:42 PM

Interesting approach, I hope others will chime in and offer their advice too... I've tried this method a few times, but in the end I find that just brushing in the shadows in PS is quicker and easier to match with the original image.  Note that you can take advantage of the "Render Elements" (tool inside V-Ray) and create a separate image for the shadows.  Bring that in on its own overlay layer and use your tool(s) of choice to adjust it.  Also, remember you can adjust the shadows, depth, color, exposure right inside V-Ray's visual frame buffer.

#3 malakas13

malakas13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

Interesting approach, I hope others will chime in and offer their advice too... I've tried this method a few times, but in the end I find that just brushing in the shadows in PS is quicker and easier to match with the original image.  Note that you can take advantage of the "Render Elements" (tool inside V-Ray) and create a separate image for the shadows.  Bring that in on its own overlay layer and use your tool(s) of choice to adjust it.  Also, remember you can adjust the shadows, depth, color, exposure right inside V-Ray's visual frame buffer.

I thought about doing it directly in photoshop but the thing is I don't have a sphere but a chair with a rather complex form (that I can't show here unfortunately) so I need to make the column's shadow fall on the chair plus the chair's shadow on the floor and wall; making those calculations is beyond my artistic skills. The rest is good tips though, I'll give them a try, thanks.

#4 Matus

Matus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,733 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

As dwoeltjen said: use render channels (Raw light, Raw shadow, Raw total light) to adjust the shadows in Photoshop.

Photoshop is your best friend ;)

mail_logo.png

I am (pick 3 options:)

/ Authorized Rhino Trainer

/ Architectural visualization artist

/ Hardworker

/ Sleeping Enough